Classroom Inspiration

Saturday 3 May 2014

WHAT A WEEK!

Wow! What a busy week! I am so glad it's the weekend just so I can have a rest!
This week at school we held our first learning conversations for the year. It was great to meet all the parents of my little wonders and to have a chat with them about the progress of their little one. We held our meetings on Tuesday and Wednesday after school, up until 6.30pm. In previous years we had allocated 15 minutes per child, this year however we changed it to 10 minutes. After talking with my colleagues, we all felt that 10 minutes kept the conversations on point and the time was used effectively. Overall I felt that the conversations were a success. I am very proud of how much my little wonders have grown since we first came together at the start of the year. 

Along with learning conversations this week, we have been working hard to complete our Mother's Day gifts. And I must say that this year's gifts are the best we've ever made! I just know our Mum's are going to love them. I can't wait to post some pictures to show you!

While we were working on one part of our gift, I witnessed one of those moments as a teacher that make you truly proud of your kids. As each child finished their work, and without prompting, they went over to someone who needed help, picked up some scissors or crayons, and helped them finish theirs. I couldn't help myself and just had to take a photo of my busy bees, all working hard to help each other finish on time. 
I love this so much!

This Monday is a student free day at my school, as we are off to a writing workshop in Hamilton called '7 Steps of Writing'. I'm looking forward to it as we have just begun personalised writing groups in our learning centre. I have also just finished reading 'No More I'm Done; Fostering Independent Writers in the Primary Grades' by Jennifer Jacobson, which has got me thinking of ways to improve and build on how I teach writing. I highly recommend reading this book. It completely changed how I think about writing.

The school we are going to for the writing workshop is a new school with an open plan design, custom built for personalised learning. I will try to get some pictures to show you, we've been there before and the school is gorgeous. 
Unfortunately the school wasn't presented as well as it was last time we visited, so I wasn't inspired to take many photos. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment