Classroom Inspiration

Friday 29 August 2014

Rockets, Rainbows and Frobscottle!

SPOILER ALERT!
If you are the dad of one of my students, this post is not for you! Off you go :)

I can't believe we have three weeks left of term 3....it's going to be Christmas any day now! (Hooray for Christmas!!!!) I'm linking up, yet again, with Doodle Bugs Teaching for a snapshot of my week with my little wonders.
We have been focusing on our space unit ALOT in our writing lately. This week I gave my kids a rocket template and told them to imagine they were looking out of the window. They had to write down what they saw, making sure they include 'expensive' adjectives (for example instead of the word big they could use a more expensive word like huge or gigantic). They put some red, orange and yellow streamers on the base of their rocket as the flames. 
At the moment we are learning about the Creation story and the Flood as the focus of our religion unit. We've already made a class big book of the days of creation and this week began reading about Noah and the flood. To remind us of our promise with God we made these lovely rainbows to string across the entrance to our classroom. I love how bright they are! 
 Today (Friday) was a super fun day in our class! After more than a term of reading, we finally finished our class book, The BFG by Roald Dahl. The little wonders absolutely LOVED this book. The silly words and the humour kept them engaged throughout the whole book. They especially loved the part when Sophie and the BFG drank frobscottle and went 'whizzpopping' about the cave (see here for a definition of whizzpopping). So as a special treat for my little ones, I decided we would make our very own frobscottle! 
First we poured lemonade into a cup and added a tiny, TINY, bit of red cordial. We then added a scoop of ice-cream and topped it off with some dream whip. I don't need to tell you how tempted I was to 'taste test' the dream whip. They little wonders slurped down their frobscottle and assured me there would be no whizzpopping, however there was the occasional burp, followed promptly with an 'excuse me'. 

 I was so inspired by Jennifer at First Grade Blue Skies and her Mother's Day Glyph activity, that I decided I would make one for Father's Day. I managed to find some nice frames for a great price in our local discount shop. The kids were so excited that they got to use real frames. They look so great, I know they're going to be something special their dads can keep for a long time. Thanks Jennifer for the super cute idea!
 We also made our Father's Day cards this week. My little wonders drew a picture of themselves and their Dad on the front cover, and inside was a gorgeous little poem that we recited together. How adorable is this drawing!!
I hope you've all enjoyed my Five for Friday :)
Happy blogging!

0 comments:

Post a Comment